Saturday, March 13, 2010

No writing assignments - but a focus on PACC

Hi 3e1 and 4n2,

I have decided not to give any writing assigments for the holidays. But we should look at some things that would help us in writing speeches. There are 4 aspects we can consider:

Purpose, Audience, Context and Culture [PACC]

PACC is the same as USA, user purpose, audience, CC is situation.


Briefly

Purpose would be - "what are you trying to achieve?"

- are you trying to convince, apologise, debate, make people laugh or motivate? First, you need to identify the purpose, then you can decide how you want to craft your speech.
Audience - "who are you talking to?"

- would you speak the same way if you spoke to your Mom, your friends, your coach and your teachers?
Context

- this determines if you want to make it serious or not. At a fun fair and at a funeral, would you behave the same way? Depending on the situation and location, you should talk differently.

Culture
- This one is easy. If you spoke to a foreigner, and you're going to eat Nasi Lemak, would you say

i) let's go eat Nasi Lemak
or
ii) Have you tried Nasi Lemak? It means coconut rice.



I'll focus a bit more on purpose

Purpose -

I repeat, Purpose would be - "what are you trying to achieve?"

- are you trying to convince, apologise, debate, make people laugh or motivate? First, you need to identify the purpose, then you can decide how you want to craft your speech.


Look at the following few pictures, although the speaker is the same, and the audience might be similar, what do you think the purposes are?





























You can make a guess and post under comments.



Futhering the scenario:

Recently, if you were Jack Neo (who cheated on his wife), and you decide to hold a press conference what would be your purpose? If your purpose was to deny the accusation, would your speech's content and tone be the same as to apologise?



Suppose your purpose is to apologise the next 2 questions to ask would be

i) who's the audience?
ii) what tone do you use?

would you say


1) sorry la, very paiseh

2) Hey family and friends, I am sorry.

3) I have made a mistake. I have hurt my family and friends. I regret the things I have done and I sincerely apologise for my actions.

4) I'm sorry! haha.



Think about it.

1 comment:

  1. So what are we to do? Just think about it?

    ReplyDelete